Our team is happy to answer any questions you have about orthodontics and the process of getting a straight and wonderful smile!
What is orthodontics?
Orthodontics, also known as dentofacial orthopedics, is a specialized form of dentistry that focuses on diagnosing, preventing, and treating dental and facial abnormalities. It does so through the process of braces, aligners, and retainers.
What is the best age to first go see the orthodontist?
If you want a beautiful, gorgeous, straight smile to show off to the world, any time seeing the orthodontist would be a great time! We work with people of all ages, and we are happy to finally give you the smile you want. We suggest that children around the age of seven come into Kirby Nelson Orthodontics to see Dr. Nelson and Dr. Lee. They will be able to determine whether your child currently needs braces or if he or she will need them in the future.
How can I take care of my teeth while having braces or wearing a retainer?
- Make sure to always (always, always!) brush your teeth after every meal and floss at least once a day.
- Use fluoride toothpaste. You can also ask your orthodontist for fluoride rinse as well.
- Frequently clean your retainer by brushing it gently with your toothbrush and toothpaste. You can also put it into denture cleaner to deeply clean any remaining bacteria.
- If you take your retainer out to eat, make sure to keep it safe in its container so you do not break or lose it.
- While you have braces, try to avoid eating foods with a lot of sugar. If you eat sugary foods, there is a high chance of getting cavities.
- Avoid eating sticky, hard, or chewy foods that could get stuck inside or break your brackets.
- Make sure to continually visit your family dentist every six months.
Do braces hurt?
Braces do not hurt, but you might experience a small amount of discomfort for a couple of days while your mouth gets used to your braces. You might also experience a little bit of soreness from any canker sores or cuts made from any sharp pieces on your braces.
Will my braces get in the way of school activities like playing sports, playing an instrument, or singing?
Braces will not interfere with your everyday life, including actively participating in sports, playing an instrument, or singing. They might take a little time to get used to, but they will not stop you from doing the things you love.
If you have any further questions about orthodontics in North Bend, Washington, please feel free to call our office today!