The decisions we make in life today, influence the outcomes of tomorrow. If we neglect our teeth today, damage to our oral health is much more likely later on. Some of our habits can have immediate effects on our teeth and gums. Our braces also require our care and attention. The more we can do to ensure braces can do their job effectively, the much better our outlook can be for our oral goals. The following five tips are excellent for caring for your braces:
– Continue your regularly scheduled cleanings and exams with your dentist.
– To protect your teeth and jaw, wear a mouth guard when playing contact sports. Your orthodontist can recommend a specific mouth guard for individuals with braces.
– Be sure to clean your retainer once a week.
– Avoid foods that can get stuck in your braces and lead to tooth decay. This includes corn on the cob, chewy foods such as taffy, hard foods such as apples, and various nuts and snacks.
– Continue brushing your teeth (and your retainer) twice a day, Also floss your teeth daily to prevent plaque buildup between hard to reach areas. Replace your toothbrush every three months.
– Go to your regularly scheduled appointment with your orthodontists at Kirby Nelson Orthodontics. Missed appointments will only delay your recovery time.
Embrace your future oral health care success by caring for your braces today. If you would like to know more about what you can do to protect your braces, please make an appointment by contacting our wonderful team at Kirby Nelson Orthodontics via phone at 425-888-1896. You can also stop by our office in North Bend, Washington. Have a safe, healthy, and happy holiday season!