It is extremely important to keep your teeth healthy and clean, especially when you have braces. If you wish to have a successful and productive experience with your orthodontic treatment, orthodontists today strongly recommend participating in a daily oral hygiene routine, which should include the following steps:
1. Get ready to brush: Before you brush your teeth, make sure to take the rubber bands and removable objects out of your mouth.
2. Brush: Use a strong, durable, and productive toothbrush while you are brushing your teeth. While brushing, try to spend about 10 seconds cleaning each tooth, removing the plaque, excess food, and debris from your teeth. Also, make sure to scrub around the brackets, pins, and wires of your braces; it keeps your braces in tip-top shape and it reduces the risks of decay.
3. Floss: Flossing can be a bit difficult with braces, but orthodontists are happy to make the job easier with flossing tools, like flossing threaders. If you do not have a floss threader, please feel free to talk to your orthodontist during your next appointment. While flossing, feed one end of the floss through the space between the wire and your tooth. Then, gently push the floss between your teeth and free any excess food and debris that are stuck.
4. Rinse: When you finish brushing and flossing your teeth, rinse your mouth with bacteria-killing or fluoride mouthwash for about 40 seconds.
It is also strongly recommended to avoid eating these foods while your teeth are transforming into the smile you have always wanted:
• Hard-to-eat foods, like apples, corn on the cob, and bagels
• Sticky foods, like taffy, caramel, and bubble gum
If you have any questions about the ways you can successfully clean and care for your oral cavity while you have braces, call our office today. Our orthodontic team is pleased to help you get the most out of your orthodontic treatment!