The TMJ is the temporomandibular joint, or the joint that connects the lower jaw to the rest of the head. The term “TMJ” is often used to refer to TMJ disorder, also called TMD, which occurs when the jaw joint becomes stressed, injured, or misaligned. TMJ disorder may result due to several different factors, such as stress, bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching), arthritis in the TMJ, or trauma and injury to the head, neck, or jaw.
You may suffer from TMD if you experience frequent jaw pain or facial pain. TMJ disorders may also cause:
- Grinding, clicking, or popping sounds in the jaw when you open and close your mouth
- Inability to open your mouth wide to speak, yawn, or chew
- A locked or stuck jaw
- Pain when chewing and biting
- Pain in the neck, shoulders, or ears
- Frequent headaches
Dr. Nelson has extensive training in treating TMJ disorders and will discuss all the options available to you, including:
- Jaw and facial relaxation exercises
- Lifestyle changes
- Custom made mouth splint for day or night time or both.
- Orthodontic treatment in conjunction with Splint Therapy.
Please schedule your consultation at any of Kirby Nelson Orthodontics‘s four convenient locations in North Bend, Snoqualmie, Maple Valley and Enumclaw, Washington,. We look forward to meeting you!